“Healthy” diet food has a reputation for being bland and repetitive, and up to a certain point it stands to reason. Day to day life has its own arbitrary demands, and it’s perfectly understandable if you don’t have time to experiment with exotic cuisine on a daily basis. At the end of the week, you may have to go back to the dreaded basics, like grilled chicken breast with a side of salad. Well, as it turns out even the basics work with a twist. 😉 This grilled chicken breast with peppermint salad is everything a diet dish has to be, and yet the salad’s unusual enough to let you reconquer the excitement of eating something for the first time.
- 6 tablespoons fresh peppermint leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of sliced red onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 cups cucumber, diced
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- Salt, pepper, and coriander to taste
- Start heating the grill medium-high.
- Meanwhile, mix the cucumber, tomato, mint, and onion in a bowl. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of oil and ¼ teaspoon of salt on top, and toss around. Reserve.
- In a different bowl, mash the garlic into a paste. Then add the wine, plus ½ teaspoon salt, the remaining oil, and coriander.
- Rub the resulting mixture on both sides of the chicken, and grill for 5 minutes per side.
As a side note, good digestion is guaranteed thanks to the many benefits of peppermint. The combination of peppermint, olive oil, and wine is a Mediterranean flavor that I usually don’t get to taste without a big heaping of pasta, and yet this dish pulls it off with almost no carbs. I think I may need to have a full category just for “fun chicken breast” recipes.